Yu Nakayama A Summer in Sierra Leone

yu_nakayama_jpgYu Nakayama is a Journalism major interested in pursuing a career in sports reporting. He has worked for The Seattle Times on two separate occasions: First as an intern-reporter covering the 2008 Washington State Legislature during winter quarter as part of the Olympia Legislative Program. He has also worked the Times as a sports news assistant, covering high school sports in the region. He has also interned for The Issaquah Press, writing features, profiles and covering live events for the sports section. He has done some freelance work for The Daily and has been on the Dean’s List. Outside of his career in journalism, Yu has worked as a Special Education Para Educator at Robinswood Middle School, and also coaches pole vaulting for the Sammamish High School track team. Yu is thrilled about his opportunity to travel to Sierra Leone to work at the Awoko and experience what is sure to be a completely different world.

“My name is Yu Nakayama; I am a graduate student from the University of Washington with a Bachelor’s degree in Communication: Journalism. During this summer of 2008, I will be travelling to Sierra Leone, Africa to work for as an intern-reporter for AWOKO newspaper. Special thanks to the UW Department of Communication for giving me this amazing opportunity to travel abroad and further my pursuit of a career in journalism with the Foreign Intrigue Scholarship.

A Summer in Sierra Leone is a blog that will feature posts that will convey Africa through the eyes of an American. The posts will include stories about my assignments as a reporter, the differences in the culture and lifestyles of Sierra Leoneans versus those of Americans, and my overall experience of being immersed in an entirely different world.”

Read more here >>