Auction Funds: How do they help?

Jillian Stampher (bottom row, second from right) with the other 2013 Olympia Program interns.

As the 4th annual Spring Fundraiser quickly approaches, we wanted to share a few stories about how the money raised at past auctions has helped students and their endeavors:

The Olympia Legislative Reporting Internship Program gives practical training to students interested in political reporting, while contributing to local news organizations. Past participants have gone on to write for daily publications including the Seattle P-I and the Tacoma News-Tribune.

Junior, journalism student Jillian Stampher decided to join after being approached by program coordinator Mike Henderson. She has been the news editor at The Daily for the past three quarters and hadn’t done much political reporting, so she determined to give it a shot.

“It’s definitely helped me branch out a lot because it’s put me in a situation where I wasn’t necessarily comfortable,” she said, “and it helped me be independent since I was working on my own down there, opposed to with a newspaper like some of the other students. And it’s definitely nice to have that variety in what I’ve been covering.”

Stampher is writing stories mostly focusing in higher education for The Daily, while other students in the program this quarter are contributing to the Washington Newspaper Publishers Association (WNPA), the Washington State Public Affairs Network (TVW), Northwest Public Radio, McClatchy Newspapers, The Seattle Times, and Crosscut.com.

“It’s nice going down there and I can talk to Andrew Garber from The Seattle Times or anybody from these other newspapers that are used to UW students being down there and they can offer me advice,” Stampher said.

And the number one benefit of the program according to Stampher: hands-on reporting.

Register for the Spring Fundraiser here >>