Professor Joseph awarded GO-MAP Faculty Leadership Award

Ralina Joseph hugs Director of GO-MAP Cynthia Morales as Eugene Eisenberg presents the plaque. Photo courtesy of GO-MAP

Professor Ralina Joseph was awarded the GO-MAP Faculty Leadership Award, a campus-wide honor that recognizes “service, leadership, and mentoring by a UW faculty member in areas promoting and supporting graduate diversity.” Joseph has been involved with the Graduate Opportunities and Minority Achievement Program (GO-MAP) since she began her job as an assistant professor in 2005 and is committed to serving students of color and other underrepresented groups.

While her duties began as simply making sure her graduate students of color were connected with GO-MAP events, resources, and support; Joseph has now written mentor memos that became talks about succeeding in graduate seminars and combating the imposter syndrome. She began co-facilitating the GO-MAP dissertation group two years ago and joined the advisory board in 2012.

“I feel incredibly honored to receive the inaugural GO-MAP Faculty Leadership Award,” Joseph said. “My ability to finish graduate school, get an assistant professorship, and earn tenure is due in great part to the generous mentorship I received as a graduate student, and that I continued to receive as a faculty member.”

Joseph has worked with about 14 GO-MAP students through dissertation groups and has delivered three talks to an additional 100 students. Many of our Communication graduate students have received GO-MAP support, including Muzzamil Hussain, Anjali Vats, Elizabeth Cortez, Tanya Oishi, and more.

“One of the very best parts of my job is working with graduate students,” Joseph said, “and I am thrilled that I’m in the position to give back. GO-MAP provides me with ways to give back and to make a difference.”