Will Mari named Graduate Publishing Fellow for UW Press, first from Communication

Will Mari in his office after hearing the news that he got the fellowship. Taken by fellow Communication Ph.D. student and office mate Matt Bellinger.

The UW Press awarded the Soden-Trueblood Endowed Graduate Publishing Fellowship to Ph.D. candidate Will Mari for the 2014-15 academic year. Mari is the 14th fellow, the first from the Department of Communication, bringing a unique skillset to the position.

“I can write, edit and promote the Press’ academic monographs and books as a kind of utility player – comfortable with a variety of communication processes, from the back-end fact-checking, which is similar to some of the reporting I’ve done, to the public relations side of things, which is similar to my public-affairs training for the Navy Reserve,” Mari said. “Communication as a discipline is a great foundation for work at an academic press, and I hope other communication grad students apply to the position in the future.”

The fellowship, which introduces graduate students in the humanities to the world of scholarly publishing, will allow Mari to work on his dissertation during the critical research and writing year, while investing in a steady job that will have him editing projects, promoting the Press on social media, working with authors, assisting with marketing, and other tasks.

“I’m excited by the opportunity to learn more about the ‘front end’ of the publishing process,” he said. “I’ve seen a fair amount of the back end, but it’ll be cool to see how specialized texts get produced and then marketed to their niche publics. This is an important role in an age saturated with information, some good and some bad, and I’m honored to be a part of helping shepherd academic books to life.”