Visiting scholar to give presentation of research on activist translators

buketVisiting scholar Buket Dabancalı will present her research on the role of activist translators in shaping information. Join us; all are welcome.

When: Monday, May 23 at 3:30 p.m.
Where: CMU 126

Synopsis: Activist Translators and Dominant Public Narratives

While my Ph.D. dissertation is in progress, I aim to demonstrate and problematize the role of activist translators in shaping an alternative source of information and forming a narrative against the dominant public narratives through the example of the translation movement that emerged out of Gezi Park demonstrations of 2013 in Turkey. In this presentation, I will introduce the platforms that constitute this movement, i.e. blogs, Facebook pages, Twitter accounts, and provide practical examples from these platforms in addition to discussing the methodological and theoretical framework of my study.

Bio: Buket Dabancalı is currently a Ph.D. candidate at the Department of Translation and Interpreting at Boğaziçi University, working as a Research Assistant at the same department. Her main areas of interest are news translation, sociology of translation and activist translation. She is at the University of Washington as a visiting researcher.