Grad student Matt Bellinger receives Mortar Board scholarship

Matthew Bellingerbellinger_headshot, a doctoral candidate entering his sixth year at the UW Department of Communication, received the Ayers/Jones Campbell Scholarship from the Mortar Board/Tolo Foundation for the 2016-17 academic year.

The Mortar Board is a national honor society recognizing college seniors for their exemplary scholarship, leadership and service – with the Tolo Chapter being the oldest continuing national honor society at the UW.

Bellinger will receive $3,000 to aid his research in the final stretch of his time as a student.

“I’m entering my final year of graduate school, and have been looking for sources of support that will enable me to focus on completing my dissertation on rhetoric and digital currencies,” Bellinger said. “I knew other graduate students in the department had applied for (and received) Mortar Board scholarships in the past, and I was encouraged to follow their example.”

Bellinger’s award is a combination of two scholarships: the Elizabeth Ayers Scholarship, and the Madeline Jones Campbell Scholarship. Ayers was one of the first married teachers in the Seattle School System whose career spanned 44 years and received both a B.A. and M.A. in American History from the UW; and Jones Campbell majored in advertising, graduating magna cum laude in 1948.