Welcome Our New Department Chair

The Department of Communication is delighted to welcome our new chair, Dr. Christine Harold. In the letter below, Dr. Harold shares more about this transition in her own words. The faculty, staff, and students wish her the best, and look forward to the Department thriving under her leadership!

Dear Students, Alumni, Friends, Family, and Supporters of the UW Department of Communication,

Christine Harold PhotoWe are in an exciting season of change!

After ten years of service as Department Chair, a role he executed with creativity, integrity, and passion, David Domke will be devoting his formidable talents to the wider public sphere; working diligently to build community and promote civic participation nationwide.  David has been a tremendous leader for our faculty, staff, alumni, and students.  He has also been a cherished mentor to me, personally.  Working with David for the last decade, and as his Associate Chair for these last two years, I have seen him inspire people to do and be their best through his compassion, encouragement, and creation of academic opportunity. A huge thanks to David for all he has done for our Communication community.

David’s are big shoes to fill.  Luckily, my feet aren’t exactly “dainty” (size 10 ½)! In all seriousness, I am thrilled to be stepping into my new role as our next Department Chair, and to build on our strong and longstanding relationships with all of you. A bit about me beyond my shoe size: My scholarship focuses on rhetoric and the cultural politics of consumerism. I’m a Washington state native, born and raised in the Seattle area.  I’m a proud first-generation college student, and the mother of three amazing children.

I look forward to getting to know many of you better as we navigate this next chapter of our Department’s continuing story. Communication as a field of study has never been more relevant, with partisan rhetoric dominating the news, digital media reshaping public life, and seismic paradigm shifts transforming journalism and politics.  The ability to connect, communicate, and collaborate on issues and ideas has never been more important; it’s perhaps not surprising that our undergraduate majors have increased by over 30% in the last five years.  As Department Chair, I am enthusiastic about negotiating the challenges and maximizing the opportunities we will encounter in the years to come.

Our faculty, staff, and students are incredibly grateful for your support and engagement; they have been crucial to our success and are integral to our future endeavors.  Thank you.

Warmest Regards,
Christine Harold SignatureChristine Harold, Chair

To learn more about Dr. Harold’s academic career, please visit her faculty profile page.