The goal of the UW Department of Communication Undergraduate Mentoring Program is to enrich and support the professional, academic and personal experiences of students by intentionally pairing them with Communication alumni. We hope this program will allow our undergraduate students to develop a strong relationship with Communication alumni who have lived the Department of Communication student experience.
This is a 5-month-long program starting in January and ending in May. Applications open during fall quarter with the application closing in November. Matches will be made by early December, and then mentors and mentees will meet for the first time at the Mentorship Program Kick-Off Event in January.
In general, graduating communication seniors are given priority in the application process. Your work experience, extracurricular activities, previous career preparation, and GPA all factor in the admission decision as well.
Benefits for Mentees: Build your network. Expand your horizons. Find new opportunities.
- Academic Guidance – study skills, post-undergraduate school planning
- Career Advice – job shadowing, resume critiques, personal brand development, interviewing tips, general career guidance
- Personal Growth – the discovery and elevation of mentees’ unique talents, connecting their personal passions to their professional futures
- This program partners one to two student mentees with one alumni mentor for a five-month period, January – May
- Monthly communications – by phone, video conferencing (ex: Skype), in person
- A minimum of three in-person meetings, not including the Kick-Off and Mid-Point Check-In. Ideally, one meeting will occur at the mentor’s place of employment
- Complete mentor/mentee profile to assist in matching
Mentor Career Pathways include:
- Public Relations Account Executive
- Community Events Organizer and Emcee
- Digital Marketer, both for Non-Profits and Fortune 500 companies
- Director of Member Services
- Multimedia News Producer and Reporter
- Broadcast Journalist and TV Anchor
Meet Your 2018-2019 Mentors!
The UW Department of Communication Alumni Professional Development Board
Applications are Closed || Mentor Matches will be Announced in Early December, 2018