The goal of the UW Department of Communication Undergraduate Mentoring Program is to enrich and support the professional, academic and personal experiences of students by intentionally pairing them with Communication alumni. We hope this program will allow our undergraduate students to develop a strong relationship with Communication alumni who have lived the Department of Communication student experience.
This is a multi-quarter program starting in November and ending in May. Applications open during fall quarter with the application closing in October. Matches will be made by early November, and then mentees must attend a goal-setting orientation before meeting with their mentors.
In general, graduating communication seniors are given priority in the application process. Your work experience, extracurricular activities, previous career preparation, and GPA all factor in the admission decision as well.
Benefits for Mentees: Build your network. Expand your horizons. Find new opportunities.
- Academic Guidance – study skills, post-undergraduate school planning
- Career Advice – job shadowing, resume critiques, personal brand development, interviewing tips, general career guidance
- Personal Growth – the discovery and elevation of mentees’ unique talents, connecting their personal passions to their professional futures
- This program partners one to two student mentees with one alumni mentor for a multi-quarter period, November – May
- Monthly communications – by phone, video conferencing (ex: Skype), in person
- A minimum of three in-person meetings, including the Kick-Off and Mid-Point Check-In. Ideally, one meeting will occur at the mentor’s place of employment
- November 1 – Deadline to apply for the 2019-2020 program
- November 15 – Mentor & Mentee Groups Announced
- November 21 – Mentee Goal-Setting and Orientation Meeting
- December – Mentoring Program Kick-Off
- March – Mid-Point Check-In
- May – Celebration event
Mentor Career Pathways include:
- Public Relations Account Executive
- Community Events Organizer
- Digital Marketer, both for Non-Profits and Fortune 500 companies
- Director of Member Services
- Multimedia News Producer and Reporter
- Broadcast Journalist and TV Anchor
Meet Your 2018-2019 Mentors!
Apply Using the Form below || APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BY 11:59 PM PST, NOVEMBER 01, 2019
If you have any questions, please contact Megan Jeffrey, Alumni Relations and Outreach Manager at email@example.com.