BA with a Major in Communication: Journalism
1. Students applying to the Journalism program need to complete only one of the introductory courses from COM 201 or 202 and may apply as freshmen. They do not have to complete the second course. We recommend that journalism applicants choose 201 for their introductory course.
2. Credits completed prior to application: at least 10 UW graded, in-residence credits; no ESL credits count.
3. Minimum GPA: Applications with a cumulative GPA below 2.5 will not be considered. The average cumulative GPA achieved by accepted applicants in previous years is a 3.2.
4. Application deadlines: applications can be submitted as early as the first day of the quarter and as late (as) two weeks after (they) first become available.
5. Application packet contents: (a) application form (basic data) with a check box indicating a desire to enter journalism; (b) transcript, grade reports, transfer evaluation sheets through prior quarter; (c) essay (up to 400 words) explaining what led applicant to apply to the major. This can refer to an issue of concern, an inspiring book or article, or a relevant experience; and (d) any other information submitted on separate sheet.
6. Notification: Within approximately 4 weeks.
7. Review: Conducted quarterly by the undergraduate studies staff with oversight by the faculty's Undergraduate Committee.