The University of Washington’s Office of Student Financial Aid has a variety of need-based funding available to prospective and current students. The information provided here is for M.A./Ph.D. and Ph.D. students.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

The Department maintains approximately 35-40 assistantships, which are merit-based awards available to students in the M.A./Ph.D. and Ph.D. programs. The vast majority of these are teaching assistantships (TAships), where graduate students assist in the teaching of undergraduate courses and receive a salary for their teaching. A few of these assistantships are for research (RAships). These students receive a salary for providing assistance to faculty research projects.

TA and RA guidelines (.doc) >>

Students entering the Ph.D. program with an assistantship receive four years of support. Students admitted to the M.A./Ph.D. track with an assistantship receive five years of funding. Continued support is always contingent on satisfactory progress in the graduate program.

These positions normally require 20 hours of work per week, and they currently carry a minimum nine-month salary of $20,052 for M.A. students and $21,546 for Ph.D. students. Students holding these appointments receive a waiver of the operating fee portion of tuition and fees but are required to pay approximately $364 in fees per quarter, or $1.092 per nine-month academic year. Assistantships automatically include health insurance coverage.

Applicants to the M.A./Ph.D.,and Ph.D. programs are automatically considered for graduate assistantships. Funding in subsequent years is renewable based on satisfactory progress in the program.

International Students (non-U.S. Citizens) and Assistantships

International students are considered for graduate assistantships on the same basis as U.S. applicants. International applicants who are not native speakers of English must demonstrate English proficiency in order to receive appointment as Teaching Assistants. There are a number of ways this may be established (see Graduate School Memorandum #8 and Graduate School Memorandum #15).


The Graduate School offers a limited number of fellowships for entering students. The Jackson School of International Studies (JSIS) offers a limited number of Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships to graduate and professional students and applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who meet designated requirements. The University of Washington’s Office of Student Financial Aid has a variety of need-based funding available to prospective students.

Current Students

Please see more information on Grants, Fellowships, and Other Funding for Current Students >>