The Communication Alumni Hall of Fame Award is bestowed upon a University of Washington Communication graduate and is presented annually by the UW Department of Communication. The award is for outstanding alumni distinguished for their service and achievements over a period of years since graduation from the University of Washington.
Hall of Fame members are people who have “made a difference” in an important way: as prominent journalists (e.g., winners of the Pulitzer Prize), public servants, celebrities who have used that celebrity to help others, leaders in their field, devoted mentors to our students and academic stand-outs. They are people who did more than just have a job or career; they did it with great success and often with great dedication to others.
View the complete list of Communication Hall of Fame members since its inception.
Before making a nomination, please read the selection guidelines:
The Communication Alumni Hall of Fame Award is designated for an outstanding alumnus or alumna, distinguished for service and achievement over a period of years since graduation from the University of Washington.
1. Definition of an alumnus/a:
A former student who earned a BA, MA, MC, MCDM, or PhD degree from the UW Department of Communication or any former programs, departments, and schools now part of the Department.
- Has your nominee demonstrated community involvement?
- How many people has your nominee’s involvement impacted?
- How have other organizations recognized your nominee’s community involvement?
- How wide is the impact nationally or internationally?
- How well known is your nominee to the general public?
- How have your nominee’s accomplishments made news?
- How many people has your nominee’s accomplishments impacted?
- How have your nominee’s colleagues recognized the accomplishments?
- What is the quality and quantity of evidence of national or international recognition?
4. UW Communication faculty who are Communication alumni are eligible for Hall of Fame membership only upon retirement from the UW.
Submit the nominee’s contact information, a detailed description of why he or she should receive the Communication Alumni Hall of Fame Award (please use Selection Criteria for guidelines) and any supporting documents to email@example.com or by mail at the following address:
Junko S. Westling
UW Department of Communication
Seattle, WA 98195
The Communication Alumni Hall of Fame Selection Committee consists of all living members of the Alumni Hall of Fame and the department chair and alumni outreach manager. Committee members receive ballots in April and selection is generally determined in May or early June and the winners notified shortly thereafter.
Questions? Please contact Junko S. Westling at firstname.lastname@example.org.