Communication Students Shine in the 2019 Husky 100 Cohort

The Husky 100 recognizes 100 UW undergraduate and graduate students who actively connect what happens inside and outside of the classroom, and apply what they learn to make a difference on campus, in their communities, and for the future. The UW Department of Communication is proud to announce that, as always, it has strong representation in the Husky 100 cohort.

“The Husky 100 is an amazing group of UW students. These are incredible people. They are smart, they are creative, they are agents of change, they are determined, they make a difference,” said David Domke, Chair of the UW Department of Communication. “These are the leaders of today and of tomorrow. We are honored to have four of the Husky 100. Congratulations and thank you to them.”
Read below to find out more about our extraordinary students named to the 2019 Husky 100.

Long Tran
Renton, WA
B.A., Communication
Gender and Sexuality Studies, Global Engagement

“As the son of a Vietnam War immigrant and refugee, my disconnection with Vietnamese culture catalyzed my social justice-oriented work in academia and Hollywood to confront the U.S. history of Asian exclusion from media, politics, and “American” identity. I leave my undergraduate career as an award-winning scholar, critically-acclaimed filmmaker, president of the Film Club, future graduate student in media studies, and founder of the Vietnamese Student Association after a five-year absence.”

Shaarika Kaul
Mercer Island, WA
B.S., Informatics (Data Science), B.A., Communication
Entrepreneurship

“I am a “gap-bridger.” Wherever I see a gap in understanding between people, cultures, or fields, I accept the challenge of being the intermediary. In my time at UW, I focused on bringing together STEM, business, and arts to create a more interdisciplinary academic environment. I also brought Eastern and Western cultures together through arts, music, and international activism. I have learned that it’s better to stand out than fit in. So, when the paths that exist don’t satisfy you, make your own.”

Marquis J. Wright
Federal Way, WA
B.A., Communication, B.A., Creative Writing

“My time at the UW has been channeled into marginalized identity exploration through organizational work and writing projects, through groups like the Brotherhood Initiative, Delta Lambda Phi: Washington’s only queer-centered fraternity, and Queer People of Color Alliance. Last Spring, I was selected to be a Playwright for the Undergraduate Theater Society’s New Works Festival, and wrote “Ricochet” – a play about navigating the intersections of religion, club culture, and queer identity in 1985, performed in March 2019.”

Lily Z
Brooklyn, NY
Master of Communication, Digital Media

“I approach strategic communication and design with values grounded in access and inclusion. The Comm Lead Program has supported my research and creative exploration in areas like web accessibility law, user psychology, neurodiversity, and storytelling for change. I am honored to work for the UW D Center where I apply knowledge from coursework in support of disability pride and culture and also to facilitate a greater focus on intersectional disability justice at UW and beyond.”