BA with a Major in Communication: Journalism
1. Students applying to the Journalism program need to complete only one of the introductory courses, COM 200*, and may apply as freshmen. Both introductory courses (COM 200 and another COM 200-level course**) need to be completed for graduation.
*COM 201, COM 202 are allowed substitutes for COM 200 if taken at UW prior to SPR 2018, were transferred in from another institution, and/or if taken at UW during SUM quarters. If you have taken BOTH COM 201 and COM 202, both courses can count to complete the prerequisite requirements.
** Starting winter 2019, we will not be accepting COM 300- or 400-level courses as the second prerequisite
2. Credits completed prior to application: at least 10 UW graded, in-residence credits; no ESL credits count.
3. Minimum GPA: Applications with a cumulative GPA below 2.5 will not be considered. The average cumulative GPA achieved by accepted applicants in previous years is a 3.2.
4. Applications are available on this page the first week of autumn, winter, and spring quarters.
5. Online application contents: (a) basic information; (b) transcript, grade reports, transfer evaluation sheets through prior quarter, course information; (c) desired major pathway (general communication, journalism, and/or honors) and degree/career goals; (d) writing sample; (e) personal statement explaining what led applicant to apply to the major. This can refer to an issue of concern, an inspiring book or article, or a relevant experience; and (f) any other information.
6. Notification: Within approximately 4 weeks.
7. Review: Conducted quarterly by the undergraduate studies staff with oversight by the faculty’s Undergraduate Committee.